How’s It Going, Everybody?

Every now and then I stop back in to look at some of the updated comments and I’m surprised, and gladdened, to see that there still are comments! Now, I no longer get paid to post here so this is just a “Hi, how are you?” to everyone who still comments here (so don’t freak out, Streamline, I’m still writing for you at tumblr – I won’t put this on the invoice).

I’ve missed talking with you guys quite a lot. Comments are difficult and burdensome on tumblr so most people just leave their comments on the twitter page. That would be, by the way, https://twitter.com/FilmStruck. My own twitter, if anyone wants to comment on my posts there, is https://twitter.com/fantomascinema . Please, feel free to stop by anytime.

So, this is going to be super informal since it’s not actually a paid post or anything.  Some movies I’ve seen recently:

PHANTOM THREAD. Thought it was excellent although I found it more visually beautiful to behold than dramatically captivating. All three leads (Day-Lewis, Manville, and Krieps) were exceptionally good.

BABY DRIVER. Wow! The sound mixing and editing really made this movie a showcase for what the cinema can do. I found it absolutely thrilling from start to finish. Terrific.

WONDER WOMAN. Right now, this may well be my favorite comic book movie yet. Also, I fully admit, I was pretty much gushing over Gal Gadot in every scene. Honestly think she could have gotten nominated. No emotional or dramatic theatrics, but she holds on tight to her character and never lets go.

LAST JEDI. Seen every STAR WARS in the theater, so I wasn’t going to stop here. Didn’t much care for it. Didn’t outright hate it, but I was pretty “eh” upon leaving the theater.

DUNKIRK. Liked it. Was hoping for more of a gut impact but didn’t get it. The evacuation, which is at the heart of the historic battle, takes a back seat to the drama of preparing for the evacuation instead. Works, but not as well as I’d hoped.

GET OUT. Fully pleased with this horror/satire. Fantastic work on everyone’s part and really happy that both Jordan Peele and Daniel Kaluuya got recognized.

Well, that’s it for now.  Talk to you again soon!

Greg

12 Responses How’s It Going, Everybody?
Posted By swac44 : February 3, 2018 10:01 am

Great to see a fresh post from you Greg! I don’t follow the tumblr, but this was a treat. Perfect for Groundhog Day weekend to boot.

Posted By LD : February 3, 2018 11:31 am

What a nice surprise! I avoid social media, unless you include this. Miss you Greg and the other former Morlocks. You too swac. The articles and comments were so interesting and enlightening. I learned a lot. Haven’t seen the movies that you listed…..yet. Guess I will have to wait for HBO to run them. A couple of classic films that I have seen recently that I really enjoyed are WALKABOUT and CINEMA PARADISO. I agree with swac, this was a treat.

Posted By Doug N : February 3, 2018 12:34 pm

I’m much in agreement with you on your film reviews.

Posted By robbushblog : February 3, 2018 1:19 pm

Greg! I miss you, man! I don’t do the tumblr. I don’t care for it. I miss the old ways of blogging that y’all did. I miss all of the writers from over the years. It was great to get a greeting from you. You abandoned Facebook as well, so this was a treat.

Posted By tiredoldman : February 3, 2018 4:55 pm

Good to hear from you. Used to love the Morlocks. Streamline doesn’t do much for me and I don’t do Tumblr, Twitter, Facebook or any other social media, because I prefer to spend my spare time reading books and good movie blogs (Morlocks), watching movies (not films) on the DVR and DVD machines, and listening to music (not on IPod). I hope “Get Out” wins Best Picture and every other award it’s nominated for.

Posted By Greg Ferrara : February 3, 2018 5:28 pm

Swac, LD, Doug, Rob, t.o.m., thanks for responding!

It’s weird with the posts being on Tumblr. They get “likes” but no interaction so I don’t even look at them once they post.

Rob, I haven’t been on Facebook for so long now I can’t even remember the last time I was. Maybe I’ll return there, maybe not.

LD, I love WALKABOUT. I did a piece here, years ago, and also wrote the article for it on TCM’s site.

Anyway, as long as they keep this up and don’t revoke my access – fingers crossed – I’ll post updates here and there to keep in touch. Good to interact again!

Posted By robbushblog : February 3, 2018 6:00 pm

Please do, Greg!

Posted By LD : February 4, 2018 10:55 am

Greg, read your articles on WALKABOUT from the blog and TCM site. I don’t know why I didn’t research the film earlier. Your blog was especially informative since I found out one part at the end of the film was a total rim shot for me as to the meaning. Anyone interested in WALKABOUT it will be shown on TCM on March 30th @ 3:45 a.m. Eastern time.

WONDER WOMAN will premiere on HBO on Feb. 10th @ 8:00 Eastern time.

Posted By Greg Ferrara : February 4, 2018 5:22 pm

It understandably throws people off because it’s not explicitly explained in the movie. It’s why you also see the father in the tree, too. It’s a truly mystical movie to watch but also, as you no doubt saw, difficult at times too since actual animal killing is filmed. And that last scene of her longing for the past in the future has real power for me.

Posted By George : February 8, 2018 11:18 pm

Saw PHANTOM THREAD a couple of weeks ago and still sorting out my feelings about it. Definitely not a simple popcorn movie. Beautifully filmed and acted. Great music, too. I recommend it, though I know it won’t be to everyone’s taste.

I’ve seen all the other movies you mentioned and liked them all. I also recommend THE POST.

I occasionally look at the Streamline Tumblr site but don’t post there. I still miss the old Morlocks site!

Posted By George : February 8, 2018 11:32 pm

“Suzi called it quits with her final post last week. She really enjoyed having interaction with her readers too.”

Sad to hear that. She was one of my favorites here, and one of the friendliest Morlock writers.

Posted By Greg Ferrara : February 12, 2018 8:57 pm

Suzi was great. And she always posted lots of pictures of her cats when I was on Facebook. Anyone who posts lots of pictures of their cats is okay in my book.