Personal Passions: Alain Delon

delonlifemag Alain Delon visits the White House (from Life Magazine Feb. 1964)

Today TCM is celebrating the career of Alain Delon and showing a batch of films he appeared in so I thought I’d join in the fun and share some photos of my small but much loved personal collection of Delon memorabilia. Longtime readers may already know that Delon happens to be my favorite French actor and 25-years ago I created the first English language Alain Delon fansite online. The site (Alain Delon: A Tribute) has been offline for years but the information it contained has been added to IMDB as well as Wikipedia and plenty of other fansite’s since it’s demise. I’ve also written about Delon’s background as well as some of the films he’s appeared in for this blog so it probably won’t surprise readers that I’ve occasionally purchased memorabilia associated with the “Ice-Cold Angel.” The odd assortment of items I’ve managed to accrue over the last 18 years or so might not be worth much to anyone but me but I thought some of you might appreciate getting a peek at a fellow film buff’s budget conscious collection (Note: I also own a press book for LE SAMOURAI (1967) that’s not pictured here because it’s still locked away in storage following my recent move).

delonsp

Autographed photo from THE SWIMMING POOL (1969). It was sold with a certificate of authenticity so I assume it’s the real deal.

delonmags Some Alain Delon related magazines I’ve picked up including an issue of Life from 1964 that contains a picture of Delon visiting the White House.

pressdelon Original press book for THE SICILIAN CLAN (1969) and a Swiss postcard advertising UN FLIC (1972).

purplenon Original Argentine lobby card for PURPLE NOON aka Plein Soleil (1960)

lesamurai Original Argentine lobby card for LE SAMOURAI (1967)

redcircle Original Argentine lobby card for LE CERCLE ROUGE (1970)

delono Original Mexican lobby card for ANY NUMBER CAN WIN aka Mélodie en sous-sol (1963)

onceat Original US lobby card for ONCE A THIEF (1965)

swlonscorp Original Spanish lobby card for SCORPIO (1973)

delonreddun Original Argentine lobby card for RED SUN (1971)

redsunposterAn original Japanese poster for RED SUN (1971) that I purchase during a trip to Japan

Hope you enjoyed this little side trip into my virtual movie memorabilia museum. Most of these items were purchased between 1996-2006 on eBay as well as a few specialty shops in Japan during a 2005 trip to Tokyo. I’m particularly fond of the pop art graphics on some of the lobby cards and the fully painted RED SUN poster featuring three actors I happen to love is even more spectacular than the photo suggests. I don’t collect much memorabilia now but I wouldn’t mind getting my hands on some items from a few of my other favorite Alain Delon films such as SPIRITS OF THE DEAD (1968), GIRL ON A MOTORCYCLE (1968), JOY HOUSE (1964), ROCCO AND HIS BROTHERS (1960) and L’ECLISSE (1962). Do you collect any movie memorabilia? I’d love to hear about it! I hope readers will share photos of their own collections or links to them in the comments below. Further reading:The Ice-Cold Angel Turns 75

35 Responses Personal Passions: Alain Delon
Posted By AL : May 9, 2013 6:43 pm

Kimberly, good stuff! Don’t miss the Criterion PURPLE NOON; and I assume you have SHOCK TREATMENT (Traitement De Choc)–for obvious reasons…

Posted By AL : May 9, 2013 6:43 pm

Posted By Kendra : May 9, 2013 6:51 pm

Great post, Kimberly! In my opinion, Alain Delon is the most gorgeous man to ever grace the silver screen. Do you collect memorabilia on any other films or stars?

I’ve got a Vivien Leigh collection back in California. It’s mostly magazines, vintage scrapbooks, photos, and other paper goods:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.217951708247295.53671.107746635934470&type=3 :)

Posted By Kendra : May 9, 2013 6:51 pm

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : May 9, 2013 7:16 pm

AL – Glad you liked the post. I still haven’t picked up the Criterion DVD but I do still own the Criterion laser disc of PURPLE NOON (I’m aging myself) and I have enjoyed the pleasures of SHOcK TREATMENT.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : May 9, 2013 7:16 pm

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : May 9, 2013 7:22 pm

Kendra – Thank you and I’m so glad you contributed to this thread. I also have a small collection of horror film related memorabilia and ’60s era Japanese cinema memorabilia.

Your Vivien Leigh collection is amazing! So much wonderful stuff to look at. I love reading old magazines because they give you a real sense of what the times were really like whenever they were published. And those covers… lovely stuff!

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : May 9, 2013 7:22 pm

Posted By Kingrat : May 9, 2013 7:32 pm

Kimberly, thanks for sharing your collection of Alain Delon memorabilia. Delon was bisexual, and he has always seemed to me to project that bisexuality as part of his image.

Henry Willson, the famous (or infamous) gay agent who repped Rock Hudson, Troy Donahue, and many other good-looking male stars, at one point (late 50s, maybe) was close to signing Delon for a regular Hollywood career. Delon is lucky he stayed in Europe, but it’s fun to speculate what a Delon career in Hollywood would have been like.

Posted By Kingrat : May 9, 2013 7:32 pm

Posted By Gene : May 9, 2013 9:09 pm

Delon was a great face and screen presence. Your collection is awesome and thank you for sharing it. I hope he is remembered for being the really great actor that he is. Les Histoires Extraordinaire, Purple Noon, Le Samourai. Unforgettable in every way.

Posted By Gene : May 9, 2013 9:09 pm

Posted By AL : May 9, 2013 9:30 pm

KENDRA–wow! What a WONDERFUL collection you have on Leigh ! Thank you so much for sharing. I intend to download muchly…

Posted By AL : May 9, 2013 9:30 pm

Posted By Kendra : May 10, 2013 4:22 am

Thanks so much, Kimerbly and Al! Old magazines really are the best, and make good content for vivandlarry.com. They’re really helpful for research purposes, as well :)

Posted By Kendra : May 10, 2013 4:22 am

Posted By Susan Doll : May 10, 2013 12:38 pm

That’s one thing I love about fellow movie lovers — we all own such cool stuff. And, I am struck at how Delon was such an international star. What an interesting career even if all of the movies were not major hits.

(I write this in my office next to my Tom Mix paper dolls, with a magazine ad featuring Jane Greer hawking Woodbury Cold Cream on my wall, and a promotional photo of Kathe von Nagy from UFA studios back in the 1920s.)

Posted By Susan Doll : May 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Posted By SergioM : May 10, 2013 7:31 pm

What? Nothing from Michael Winner’s Scorpio with Delon and Burt Lancaster. Maybe Winner’s best film (which may not be saying much)

By the way, if someone gave me the money to do a remake I’ve always wanted to do a really fantastic remake of Red Sun. really great premise lousy, action poor dull film.

(P.S. if I was given the money to make two more remakes they would be The Laughing Policeman and Hit1)

Posted By SergioM : May 10, 2013 7:31 pm

Posted By Emgee : May 11, 2013 3:30 pm

@ SergioM “What? Nothing from Michael Winner’s Scorpio”
I’d say:check again.

Posted By Emgee : May 11, 2013 3:30 pm

@ SergioM “What? Nothing from Michael Winner’s Scorpio”
I’d say:check again.

Posted By AL : May 11, 2013 4:15 pm

THE MECHANIC was the best from Michael Winner and Jerry Fielding

Posted By AL : May 11, 2013 4:15 pm

THE MECHANIC was the best from Michael Winner and Jerry Fielding

Posted By SergioM : May 11, 2013 5:06 pm

OOPS Missed that poster

Posted By SergioM : May 11, 2013 5:06 pm

OOPS Missed that poster

Posted By dlhartzog : May 13, 2013 11:24 pm

Very nice, I too am Delon fan, esp. 60s crime films, esp. Le Samourai.

Posted By dlhartzog : May 13, 2013 11:24 pm

Very nice, I too am Delon fan, esp. 60s crime films, esp. Le Samourai.

Posted By alex : May 14, 2013 4:57 am

Delon is great!

However, he was a tough actor to work with. Many directors did not wants to work with him because of bad temper. Today, when he is 77 years, he is more relaxed. There were a lot of rumors about him (including bisex- never proved). He confimred only one that he had friends among Mafia in the past.

Posted By alex : May 14, 2013 4:57 am

Delon is great!

Posted By Victoria : May 14, 2013 5:51 pm

Spectacular!
Thank you for sharing these wonderful treasures of Alain Delon’s cinematic life.
Delon may not have been able to thrive in Hollywood. As we know, Hollywood had their own way, and he would not fit the mold – “bad boy” attitude, etc.
I have believed him to be such an enigma on and off screen.

Posted By Victoria : May 14, 2013 5:51 pm

Spectacular!
I have believed him to be such an enigma on and off screen.

Posted By swac44 : May 14, 2013 11:40 pm

Always nice to see a themed collection of fun items. I collect dribs and drabs of everything, so I never seem to focus in on any one thing too often, although I’ve garnered a number of posters for films by my fave director John Huston, including an original Treasure of the Sierra Madre Belgian release poster that’s a lot more colourful than its U.S. counterpart, and an original one-sheet for The Man Who Would Be King. A few other fun ones, like an insert poster for The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T and a beautiful oversize poster for the 1970 reissue of Fantasia, with garish psychedelic artwork (it’s bigger than a one-sheet, probably for hanging in bus stops or subway stations, on sturdy bristol-board), and a similar size Beyond the Valley of the Dolls poster.

A friend of mine focused on Hitchcock in his early days, and acquired a nice collection of original posters for films by the master of suspense, before auctions and the internet drove prices way up. His best find was an original half-sheet for Rebecca, which he turned up at a flea market for $15! I’m sure it would be worth at least $1,000 today (maybe more, haven’t looked at auction prices lately).

Posted By swac44 : May 14, 2013 11:40 pm

Posted By Donna : July 17, 2014 7:50 am

Delon is the most beautiful man in cinema history. Made some comments last year that being gay was “against nature.” He never stated he was bisexual. No proven male lovers have ever been named, though rumors still persist. Made many great films. Some not so great. Shock Treatment was below him…so to speak… just silly. Alain, what were you thinking?? Should’ve worked with Elizabeth Taylor. A good bio needs to be written in English.