The Ice-Cold Angel Turns 75

It’s hard to believe that Alain Delon has aged at all but on November 8th my favorite French actor will be celebrating his 75th birthday. His impossible beauty, quiet intensity and powerful magnetism have been immortalized on screen so he remains ageless in my mind. Like a modern day Dorian Gray, Alain Delon retains his youth in countless films shown at revival screenings, on television and available on DVD where we’ve been given the opportunity to see him as the ambitious boxer in Rocco and His Brothers (1960), the scheming social climber in Purple Noon (1960), the seductive banker in L’Eclisse (1962), the dashing Tancredi in The Leopard (1963), the petty criminal in Joy House (1964), the cold-blooded killer in Le samouraï (1967), the jealous lover in The Swimming Pool (1969) and as the paranoid art dealer in Mr. Klein (1976), among many other memorable roles.

Throughout his career Alain Delon managed the rare and delicate balance of being a world-wide superstar and a consummate actor. His resume reads like a who’s who of international cinema with credits that link him with some of the world’s greatest directors such as Luchino Visconti, Michelangelo Antonioni, Jean-Pierre Melville, René Clément, Joseph Losey, Louis Malle, Julien Duvivier, Jacques Deray and Jean-Luc Godard.

His costars have included legendary starlets like Romy Schneider, Claudia Cardinale, Brigitte Bardot, Monica Vitti, Catherine Deneuve, Jane Fonda, Ursula Andress, Simone Signoret and Shirley MacLaine as well as talented actors as diverse as Jean-Paul Belmondo, Charles Bronson, Toshiro Mifune, Burt Lancaster, Jean Gabin, Anthony Quinn, George C. Scott, Dean Martin, Jean-Louis Trintignant and Richard Burton.

Part of Alain Delon’s appeal lies in his ability to play against type. Instead of using his mesmerizing good looks to become a romantic leading man, Delon often accepted villainous and unglamorous roles that offered him the opportunity to flex his acting muscles. Killers, thieves, mobsters and heartless cads are just a few of the unappealing characters that Delon regularly played and occasionally it become nearly impossible for the general public to distinguish the actor from the actual man.

This was partially due to Delon’s own troubled background. As a young boy he grew up with a difficult family and spent a good portion of his youth getting expelled from school. When he joined the French military as a means of escape things didn’t go particularly well and Delon spent time in prison for his undisciplined behavior and inability to follow orders until he was finally honorably discharged. Combined with his links to French crime figures and his part in a murder investigation that took place when one of his bodyguards was killed, Delon’s notorious reputation as a “bad boy” has always superseded him.

I am not a star. I am an actor. I have been fighting for years to make people forget that I am just a pretty boy with a beautiful face. It’s a hard fight, but I will win it. I want the public to realize that above all I am an actor, a very professional one who loves every minute of being in front of the camera. But one who becomes very miserable the instant the director shouts, “Cut!” – Alain Delon

Critics have also been rather simplistic in their observations of Delon’s acting career and throughout the years they’ve spent a significant amount of time focused on his looks instead of his performances. When his acting was brilliant in films such as Rocco and His Brothers, Purple Noon, L’Eclisse and Le samouraï critics often praised the director and overlooked the understated and powerful performances Delon was giving but his acting abilities shouldn’t be underestimated. Alain Delon used his eyes and body language in ways that monopolized the screen and made dialogue unnecessary. His succinct performances convey a kind of cinematic magic that is timeless, unforgettable and incredibly modern. He’s a true original. Whether he was playing a cowboy, a gigolo or a ruthless killer, one always gets the impression that Delon was a little different and a little dangerous.

When he started acting in the late ‘50s many people referred to him as the “French James Dean” and I think it’s easy to see why. When Delon was on screen he seemed ready to explode at any moment but unlike Dean, there was rarely a moment of release in Delon’s tightly wound performances. He retained an icy severity throughout his career that earned him the nickname “Ice-cold angel.”

Alain Delon’s cold exterior masks an inner fire that has attracted the attention of many fans and his powers of seduction are legendary. He has seduced costars, directors, pop divas and politicians and in the process he left a trail of broken hearts in his wake. One of his many romantic dalliances was with the lovely songstress, model and actress Nico. Their relationship produced a child according to Nico that was denied by Delon. He’s also had a stormy relationship with the invasive French media during his career and has undoubtedly made a few enemies during his lifetime including the German actor Helmut Berger who has openly expressed his disdain for Delon.

Berger supposedly had an affair with Natalie Delon, the mother of Delon’s son Antony and his costar in Le samouraï, while Delon was rumored to have had an affair with Helmut Berger’s longtime lover, director Luchino Visconti who helmed two of the actor’s best films (Rocco and His Brothers and The Leopard). It’s been suggested that Visconti, like many others before and after him, lost his heart to the “ice-cold angel” and never fully recovered. Other directors have complained about the actor’s temperament such as Louis Malle who once said “Alain Delon was the most difficult actor I have ever worked with.” This was announced after the two made the excellent “William Wilson” segment for the horror anthology Spirits of the Dead (1968).

Despite Delon’s reputation as one of French cinema’s original bad boys he managed to maintain lifelong friendships with many of his costars such as Jean-Paul Belmondo, Brigitte Bardot, Claudia Cardinale and the late Charles Bronson. He’s also given his time and considerable amounts of money to animal rights organizations and other important causes such as AIDS research, but his charitable contributions don’t garner as many headlines as his numerous love affairs, conservative political leanings and explosive temper.

Alain Delon officially retired from acting in 1998 but he occasionally takes small parts in movies and has appeared in some popular French television dramas as well as notable stage plays. During the last decade directors such as Johnnie To, Sophia Coppola and Olivier Marchal have tried to coax Delon into accepting substantial roles in films they were making. Unfortunately no one has been able to persuade the actor to star in another movie but I eagerly await his return to the big screen. In the meantime I’d like to wish Alain Delon a very happy birthday and I hope we get to enjoy this extraordinary actor for many more years to come.

54 Responses The Ice-Cold Angel Turns 75
Posted By Martha Clark : November 4, 2010 5:33 pm

Very nice tribute to Alain Delon! Nice choice of photos, too. Thanks so much! :~)

Martha

Posted By Martha Clark : November 4, 2010 5:33 pm

Martha

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : November 4, 2010 7:02 pm

Thank you, Martha! I’m glad you enjoyed it. I must confess that it was hard selecting pictures for this post. Delon is incredibly photogenic so there’s a lot of great photos of him available.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : November 4, 2010 7:02 pm

Posted By AL : November 4, 2010 8:02 pm

Minelli wanted him for the Valentino role in his remake of THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE, but MGM brass decided he wasn’t “box-office” & forced Vicente to cast Glenn Ford (!) as Julio instead…Unfathomable casting mistake…
He should have played the lead in Ken Russels messy bio-pic VALENTINO (Nureyev as Rudy? Hello?)…
I’m partial to PURPLE NOON and JOY HOUSE and TO CATCH A THIEF

Posted By AL : November 4, 2010 8:02 pm

I’m partial to PURPLE NOON and JOY HOUSE and TO CATCH A THIEF

Posted By Richard Harland Smith : November 4, 2010 9:13 pm

I’m partial to PURPLE NOON and JOY HOUSE and TO CATCH A THIEF

Al, did you mean ONCE A THIEF? If so, I like that movie, too. The pairing of Delon with Ann-Margret works surprisingly well and there’s a great cadre of creeps in Jack Palance, Tony Musante and the late John Davis Chandler, as one of cinema’s first out homosexual hitmen (“I don’t like women.”) The ending is a heartbreaker, too.

Posted By Richard Harland Smith : November 4, 2010 9:13 pm

I’m partial to PURPLE NOON and JOY HOUSE and TO CATCH A THIEF

Posted By daniela : November 5, 2010 10:55 am

Thank you for this tribute, Kimberly! As soon as I saw this was a post about Alain Delon and then you as the author, I knew I was heading for great things;) You’re spot on about Delon’s acting style – I can’t think of many actors with enough charisma to pull off something like “Le samouraï” (as close to a silent picture as you can get post-1930′s).

Posted By daniela : November 5, 2010 10:55 am

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : November 5, 2010 1:45 pm

Thanks for sharing that bit of trivia with us, Al. I didn’t know that Delon had been considered for that role but I have to agree with you. He would have been better suited for the role of Julio. I’ve personally always been fascinated with the notion that David Lean considered casting Delon for the role of Lawrence of Arabia. I’m glad he didn’t because I think Peter O’Toole was perfect for the part but it’s fun to imagine Delon in white robes riding across the sand.

Like yourself, I’m partial to the films he made with René Clément (PURPLE NOON and JOY HOUSE). The director was able to get some especially nuanced performances from Delon.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : November 5, 2010 1:45 pm

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : November 5, 2010 1:48 pm

ONCE A THEIF is very good. Delon and Ann-Margret had an interesting chemistry together so I enjoyed watching them in that. I’d like to see it again but like a lot of Delon’s films it doesn’t seem to be available on DVD.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : November 5, 2010 1:48 pm

Posted By Kingrat : November 5, 2010 4:17 pm

Kimberly, thank you for writing about Alain Delon. Early in his career Henry Willson–The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson–came close to signing Delon to his stable of good-looking male stars. Delon probably had a bigger career by not going to Hollywood as the next Louis Jourdan, though it’s intriguing to think about what parts he might have played.

Posted By Kingrat : November 5, 2010 4:17 pm

Posted By AL : November 5, 2010 7:57 pm

yes it was ONCE A THIEF. also like THE SWIMMING POOL & ROCCO and almost all of his early-ish French films. agree about LAWRENCE–O’Toole was so indelible; I can’t picture Delon as Lawrence. (BTW–I saw Alec Guiness do the role on stage in London in ROSS). Wish they’d done a DRACULA with Alain–tho Louis Jordan’s BBC was pretty Cool…

Posted By AL : November 5, 2010 7:57 pm

Posted By Suzi : November 5, 2010 8:07 pm

As a kid, I saw him in TEXAS ACROSS THE RIVER (with the Rat Pack, no less) and THE YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE. So handsome and charismatic, even in less-than-great films.

Posted By Suzi : November 5, 2010 8:07 pm

Posted By Christian Esquevin : November 6, 2010 2:44 pm

Thanks for the post on Delon. I had wanted to bring him up in my own blog but focused on Jean Marais instead. To me there was always something sad in his eyes, even tragic, that made his characters fascinating. I don’t remember him ever playing a cheerful role. He was kind of a male version of Greta Garbo – mesmerising to watch.

Posted By Christian Esquevin : November 6, 2010 2:44 pm

Posted By AL : November 6, 2010 4:53 pm

I forgot about that film FAREWELL FRIEND he made with Charles Bronson (what a Team!). I have the ultra rare laserdisc!
Check out that recent box-set DELON, which includes a gorgeous UNCUT print of SWIMMING POOL. and don’t forget SHOCK TREATMENT where he’s running around frontally nude…

Posted By AL : November 6, 2010 4:53 pm

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : November 6, 2010 5:24 pm

Thank you, Daniela, Kingrat and Christian. I’m glad you all enjoyed my post. Delon is extraordinary and it’s nice to know that he’s still got a lot fans. I love your description of Delon being a “male version of Greta Garbo,” Cristian. I think that’s a wonderful comparison.

Suzi – I really like The Yellow Rolls Royce (Texas Across the River, not so much). McLaine and Delon supposedly had an affair on set and I think you can sense the attraction between the two actors in that film. They’re really cute together.

AL – Bronson and Delon only made two films together but they wanted to make more and never got the opportunity. As I mentioned in my post, they became good friends over the years and actually had a lot in common. They both grew up relatively poor, joined the military and boxed when they were younger. They also both enjoyed motorcycles, horseback riding and collecting art later in life. It’s too bad they didn’t make more films together because I really enjoyed them in RED SUN & FAREWELL FRIEND.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : November 6, 2010 5:24 pm

Posted By AL : November 6, 2010 6:02 pm

duh! I can’t believe I forgot that I own a beautiful DVD import of RED SUN. OH! and the wonderful DANCING MACHINE! and the TV series FABIO MONTALE and and and…thanks for the great article!

Posted By AL : November 6, 2010 6:02 pm

Posted By ciara s. : November 7, 2010 2:38 am

Thank you for this post!

Regarding Lawrence of Arabia-he, supposedly, almost signed on to play Ali, not Lawrence-but hated contacts producers wanted him to wear to make his eyes brown (brown-eyed Delon-unfathomable!).

Posted By ciara s. : November 7, 2010 2:38 am

Thank you for this post!

Posted By Alain Delon 75 But “Ageless In My Mind” « Alain Delon – Still the Best : November 7, 2010 1:14 pm
Posted By AndyBLV : November 9, 2010 12:55 am

Yes, Ciara, I think you’re right that the role he was wanted for in “Lawrence of Arabia” was Omar Sharif’s Ali, not the very British T.E. Lawrence. No disrespect meant to Omar Sharif, but I never thought he was as good an actor as Delon, and it is intriguing to picture him in some of the roles the other actor played, such as “Doctor Zhivago” and “Funny Girl”. He and Julie Christie would have burned up the screen in the former and I think he would have been a great gambler/playboy opposite Streisand in the latter. To me, Delon is kind of the French Steve McQueen – I think they have a lot of the same loner appeal, though Delon is still uniquely himself always.

Posted By AndyBLV : November 9, 2010 12:55 am

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : November 9, 2010 2:43 am

I did a quick search around the web and there seems to be a lot of conflicting information about what role Delon was supposed to have been offered in LAWRENCE OF ARABIA but it seems somewhat more sensible that he was offered the role of Ali instead of Lawrence so I don’t doubt you, Ciare. I like Sharif but I think Delon would have been really interesting in that role.

McQueen and Delon definitely had a lot in common as actors. It’s surprising to me that they never teamed up.

Posted By Kimberly Lindbergs : November 9, 2010 2:43 am

Posted By Liz : November 9, 2010 3:51 am

it was albertFinney who was first choice of David Lean for Lawrence later offered to Peter O’Toole( as Finney turned it down flat not enthused spending months in the desert) after Lean saw him a film. Doubtful, that role was ever offered Delon– Lawrence being a Brit.

Posted By Liz : November 9, 2010 3:51 am

Posted By AndyBLV : November 9, 2010 3:35 pm

What a great movie they would have made together, Kimberly! Now I wish I could just get my hands on “Borsalino”…Delon and Belmondo together just has to be good!

Posted By AndyBLV : November 9, 2010 3:35 pm

Posted By JeffMc2000 : November 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Also worth seeking out is Delon’s final (to date) collaboration with Jean-Paul Belmondo,1998′s Une Chance Sur Deaux (Half A Chance). Vanessa Paradis plays a teenage car thief fresh out of jail who sets out to track down the father she never knew, who could be either former thief turned millionaire hotelier Alain
Delon, or former mercenary turned millionaire car collector Jean-Paul Belmondo. The action kicks in when Paradis steals the wrong car and is pursued by vengeful Russian gangsters, forcing bickering Delon and Belmondo to team up to save her.

Very fun movie in an over the hill gang rides again kind of way. Nice to see Belmondo hanging from a helicopter one last time, and Delon is as cool with a pistol as ever. The two share a nice bickering chemistry with Paradis as well. And lots of shit blows up, which is always nice.

Posted By JeffMc2000 : November 14, 2010 8:38 pm

Posted By Juana Maria : November 23, 2010 4:35 pm

I have some of his films, mostly the foreign ones. I thought he was great in “Rocco and his Brothers”. That was the first film I ever saw of his. Next one was “Once a Thief” with Jack Palance.
I bought for $1 a foreign Zorro movie that he starred in. He is so beautiful. I didn’t like him being the bad guy in “Red Sun”.
However I think the whole cast has had their turms of being the bad guys in different films. Great article.
Merci!

Posted By Juana Maria : November 23, 2010 4:35 pm

Merci!

Posted By Mary : December 31, 2010 4:51 am

Thanks for the great tribute to Alain Delon. I don’t understand why his career was largely limited to Europe. As an American, pre-computers, I heard about him by word of mouth. It was difficult to see many of his films, you had to buy the classics, and were lucky to see a rerun movie of his on TV with an American like Charles Bronson. He is certainly one of the most photogenic men of my lifetime, and I can’t understand Hollywood passing as much as they did on this incredible talent.

Posted By Mary : December 31, 2010 4:51 am

Posted By Alex : February 1, 2011 8:04 am

Delon is still popular in Eastern Europe, Russia and some Asian countries. He often comes to Russia. For instance, he recently came to promote a new parfum from Dior. He lives in Geneva, Switzeland. After his divorce (actulally, his wife left him), his children often come to visit him there.

He once said: “a friend is someone you may call at night and say, I have just killed a man, help me hide the body.”

That is purely Delon.

Posted By Alex : February 1, 2011 8:04 am

That is purely Delon.

Posted By Marianne : April 5, 2011 2:36 pm

Loved everything readers wrote. I myself think Mr. Klein and Two
Men in Town are my favorites. What do others think of these?
My prayers are with Alain that he stays healthy, happy and takes
care of all those pets he’s graciously undertook to care and love
them,

Posted By Marianne : April 5, 2011 2:36 pm

Loved everything readers wrote. I myself think Mr. Klein and Two
Men in Town are my favorites. What do others think of these?
My prayers are with Alain that he stays healthy, happy and takes
care of all those pets he’s graciously undertook to care and love
them,

Posted By alex : August 16, 2011 6:34 am

Marianne,

These are two great movies.

My personal favorite ones are the Swimming Pool, Under the Sun (or Burned by the Sun), and the Eclipse.

Posted By alex : August 16, 2011 6:34 am

Marianne,

These are two great movies.

Posted By Breen Deegan : January 12, 2012 5:55 am

Almost a s old as Delon myself.
Have been a fan since way back.
One of my favourite’s is Scorpio with Burt Lancaster

Posted By Breen Deegan : January 12, 2012 5:55 am

Almost a s old as Delon myself.
Have been a fan since way back.
One of my favourite’s is Scorpio with Burt Lancaster